Ingredients for 2 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Stale bread, 200 g;
- Cherry tomatoes, 300 g;
- Cucumber, 1;
- Small eggplant, 1;
- Yellow bell pepper, 1;
- Delicius Mackerel Fillets in olive oil, 2 packs;
- Tropea spring onion, 1;
- Extra virgin olive oil;
- Wine vinegar, q.b.;
- Black pepper;
- Toasted bread croutons.
- Open the pack of mackerel, remove the fillets and save the oil to season the cherry tomatoes.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into small pieces, season them in a bowl with the mackerel’s preserving olive oil and a pinch of salt, then set aside.
- Arrange the bread in a container and moisten it with a little water so that it softens.
- Cut the eggplant into thick slices, cut out bell pepper flaps, then cook both on a hot grill with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cut the red onion into rings, including the green part, and keep aside.
- Peel the cucumber, cut it in half, remove the seeds, then cut the cucumber into cubes.
- Cut the grilled vegetables into cubes.
- Squeeze the stale bread to remove excess water and place in a bowl.
- Season the bread with the tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, eggplant, onion and vinegar.
- Also add the hand flaked mackerel and chiffonade-cut basil.
- Mix well to blend all the ingredients.
- Serve by adding the toasted bread cubes at last to give the panzanella crunchiness.
- Serve with a few fresh basil leaves, a few onion rings, and a whole mackerel fillet on top of each serving.